Wednesday 30 May 2007

Driving Pet Peeves...


I am not one given to road rage. In fact, I dare say I am one cool and collected driver. But that doesn't mean that certain things don't urk me.

Take for instance this situation: you're cruising down the stretch--no one in front and no one in back. You've set the cruise control on and are just sitting back enjoying the moment when some numbskull pulls out right in front of you and pokes--forcing you to jam on the brakes to avoid a sure crash. This person obviously has no common sense--let alone common courtesy. Either that or they really need glasses 'cause they couldn't see you coming! But seriously, what sense does this make?! I think I am a magnet for this sort of experience--it is a rare thing if this doesn't happen each day I go to work. The crazy part of it is that it usually takes place out in the country. (I think the farmers have a coalition against city and town folk driving along their country highways. But that's just my opinion...)

Then there's the speeding tailgaters--you know the ones: in your rear-view mirror you see a little dot--some may call it an 'iota'--way in the distance. 15 seconds later you look in the mirror again. Suddenly that little iota is now a crazy lunatic right on your tail. The only thing that brings you a little relief is when the stream of oncoming traffic clears so he can pass you and get on with the NASCAR race he was in just moments before. But there's one problem...he doesn't pass you...he stays right where he is...close enough to be hitched to your car. What is wrong with these people? What happens if something (like that crazed person in the first scenario) cuts me off and I have to jam on the brakes? I would have a very hard time getting anything into my trunk as it is now compressed and sitting in my back seat. Like, where on earth did these people learn to drive?! I know I never took that course!!

Sometimes after a hard day on the road I start thinking it wasn't so bad in the old days--you couldn't live life in the fast lane; there weren't any instant gratification outlets: drive-thrus, microwaves, high speed internet, cell phones, et al. Our forefathers just took life as it came--through a lot of hard work, sweat, and tears. But I think they also enjoyed life more than we do now. They took the time to stop and smell the roses. Perhaps we should slow down in our hectic rat race of daily living--think about what we have to be thankful for--and communicate that appreciation in all of our circumstances. Just a thought...

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment