Tuesday 29 May 2007

Point of Grace in Concert




WOW! What an amazing performance! Point of Grace has been my favourite CCM group since they emerged in 1993. But living up in Ontario, Canada isn't the best spot to catch concert tours. Oh sure, big personalities will often times come to Toronto, but that's one city I don't like to frequent. I'm just a small town girl--big cities intimidate me very easily. So for the past 10+ years I've been patiently waiting for the girls of POG to come to my area. They finally made it, and it was sure worth the wait!!!
It was held in a fairly small church (I've seen far bigger, but for that matter, there are lots that are far smaller too). I had a great seat--3rd row center. With my camera ready I was set for a great night! (I think half of the spots in their eyes were from my camera...shhhhh)
Denise, Heather (who was very pregnant with her 4th), Leigh, and Shelley came on the platform and belted out "Day by Day". The interesting thing to note was that their pianist was none other than Michael from another CCM group, Avalon--he emerged from behind the ivory at one point to sing the hit "Testify to Love".
Shelley took the mic and addressed everyone--introducing the crew, etc. and just making the ususal concert small talk. She is quite humorous! A natural entertainer. She had the entire audience in stitches several times during the night.
At noon that day, the four of them had lunch in a little cafe in downtown London. They had a great waiter, Tony, whom they had given tickets to see the show that evening. Looking out into the crowd, Shelley said "So, Tony, are you here?...long pause...Yeah, well, thanks for coming out..."
They sang many "old" songs from their records as well as a few from their up and coming album "How You Live". Shelley also sang my personal favourite, "Jesus Will Still Be There" (so I was definitely a happy camper).
It was a great night filled with great music and fellowship.
After the concert, the POGsters signed autographs and posed for photos. I had been banking on this--I'd spent the previous week and a half working on a portrait of the four of them. When it was my turn with the Fab4, I pulled out my sketch and they each signed it for me. They were all so warm and friendly--taking a genuine interest in what I had to say in the brief moments I was there with them. They were so genuine, too. Especially Denise, whom I spoke with the most.
Altogether it was a most enjoyable experience. I don't get to many concerts or similar events, so this was a very special treat for me!
Point of Grace is one group I definitely encourage everyone to see live! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment